Ten Quick Summer Fashion Tips
Okay, folks: we're in the throes of summer, and it's time for a butch fashion refresher. (Note: The exception to these is Pride, where you can break any fashion rules you want. I say: if full frontal nudity is accepted, your belt and shoes don't have to match.)
1. Now is a perfect time to go shopping for summer stuff, because it's all on clearance! I love waiting till a season's underway, then snagging the good stuff for half price.
2. Athletic shorts are to be worn only if you are doing something athletic. Going out to dinner does not qualify as "athletic." (Hiking shorts are a different matter--I'm talking about mesh or nylon basketball or running-type shorts.)
3. White belts are IN, and so are light grey ones. Pair with light-colored pants or shorts, and shoes that are not completely black. Check out the photo at the right. Soooo hot!
4. Experiment with lighter fabrics, like linen and seersucker. They're actually kind of fun. If you don't know where to start, try cream-colored linen shorts or a seersucker button-up shirt.
5. No pleated shorts (please).
6. Boat shoes and deck shoes are in. Wearing them with socks is out.
7. It's perfectly acceptable to wear black socks with athletic sneakers if all three of the following apply: (1) the socks are athletic-type and barely go above your ankle; (2) A significant portion of your shoes is black; (3) Your shoes are not the least bit dressy.
8. It can be hard to find men's shorts that aren't absurdly long. If you have this problem, too, check out--I kid you not--the golf shorts at a fancy department store. Most are dorky, but some are awesome. Plus they have secret pockets. Another place to look: "outdoorsy" stores like REI. Many hiking shorts are versatile enough to be worn anywhere.
9. Choose short-sleeve button-up shirts made of light material, and not too wide in the sleeve. You're going for this look, not this one.
10. Get goofy. Summer's a great time to experiment with colors and patterns you wouldn't ordinarily wear. So break some of your usual rules--heck, break some of mine, too--and go have fun!
6/29/2012 02:26:15 am
Fashion and I arent the best of friends, I tend to where the same 5 Tshirt and like 3 pairs of jeans or camo pants with a leather jacket in the winter lol I think I'll check out your fashion section, my femme might get a kick out of it lol
Gotta disagree with you on the "no socks with boat shoes" thing, man. I can't wear shoes without socks. It 1.) grosses me out and 2.) tears up the back of my feet into a bloody, blistered mess. Here's my solution: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24085987
6/29/2012 02:41:43 am
Excellent point. I can definitely get behind a don't-ask-don't-tell sock situation. And I don't wear boat shoes myself in part because of the problem you described. Maybe I'll check out those teeny socks. I'm just afraid they'll feel a little too much like those nylon remnants that department stores sometimes make you wear to try on shoes.
6/29/2012 09:02:54 am
Love the blog and the butch fashion tips are great.
6/29/2012 09:39:34 am
I admit I don't have pretty legs (knee surgeries, crazy childhood...) I have recently gotten tired of protecting the public from my "Franken knees". The long shorts are a life saver...but sometimes hard for a husky butch to pull off. And I hate sweaty feet too, yeach!
yay! fashion tips! thanks, bw! and, yep, sweaty feet gross me out.
7/2/2012 11:30:17 am
I'm just an old school 501 kind of dyke. I've been dressing them up with the button down shirts with the print on the shoulder n side. I'm the same with the boat shoes. I wear the plaid shorts to work with a collared shirt-PE teachers can get away with that. Gotta love the fedora-still
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.